There is something special about a well-peppered and well-grilled fish recipe that even the people that calm not eating fish can’t resist the aroma (and even the taste, when they eventually test it). These people, after tasting this recipe, end up licking their fingers, forgetting they ever claimed not to like eating fish.
The most popular way in which the grilled fish is enjoyed is with bottles of beer or some other chilled drinks, which make the spicy deliciousness of the fish go down smoothly. But to really enjoy the Nigerian grilled fish, it is best to serve it with a side of salad or coleslaw and a serving of potato chips.
In this post, we will be showing you how to make the grilled fish in the oven.
How to Make Grilled Fish in Oven: Ingredients
- 1 large whole gutted and cleaned catfish.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced or diced.
- I red bell pepper, thinly sliced.
- Chili powder or paprika.
- Some butter/olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder.
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder.
- 2 tablespoons of black pepper.
- 1 tablespoon each of curry and thyme powder. Fresh thyme sprigs can be used if available.
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- 1 can of cooking spray.
- 1 sliced lemon.
- Salt and stock cubes to taste (optional)
How to Make Grilled Fish in Oven: Preparation Procedures
- Cut and clean your catfish thoroughly and use the sliced lemon to get rid of any unpleasant slime; rinse and pat the catfish dry with paper towels. To allow penetration of spices and thorough cooking, you can make some long gashes along the body of the fish. Cover the catfish with a generous helping of butter or olive oil.
- Lightly sprinkle the fish with the powdered spices, pepper, salt, and stock cubes. You could also mix the powdered spices with some melted butter or olive oil and thoroughly coat your fish on both sides with the mix.
- Get the large roll of aluminum foil and spray it with your cooking oil so that your fish won’t stick to the foil. Place the catfish in the center of the foil and cover it with the sliced bell peppers and onions. Squeeze a wedge of lemon all over the fish, on both sides. You can marinate for about 30 minutes or an hour, depending on how much time you have, to allow the spices to really penetrate your fish,
- Place your lemon slices, well arranged on your fish and then wrap your foil, lengthwise, over your fish.
- Now, grill the fish for about 15 minutes on each side. Use your oven for the grilling (but you can also use open pit grill). To make the grilled fish in the oven, preheat the oven on medium heat and then grill your fish for about 10minutes on each side.
N.B: Leave some space around the fish for it to expand when cooking and be sure to wrap the edges of your foil tightly so the juices do not drip out.
That’s how to make grilled fish in oven; enjoy your spicy, grilled catfish.